Tuesday, May 17, 2011

In, on, and above the Water





First on the following morning’s docket was an hour-long sail on a catamaran out to a reef on the edge of the Gulf Stream where we and 50 other tourists were slated to snorkel. The wind was blowing 15 knots out of the south making for seas of three to four feet. I worried that the kids would be intimidated by the rowdy waters, but the moment they saw that clear aquamarine, they were ready to go.

They took the plunge donning fins, goggles, snorkels and buoyancy control without any prompting. Within a few minutes they found themselves swimming over a five-foot long gray shark. Georgia ripped off her goggles and made a bee-line back to the Catamaran. Meanwhile, the rest of us lumbered over the water, mindlessly bumping into complete strangers as we observed everyday life on the reef.

Forty minutes later, a horn sounded, calling us all back to the boat. Soon we were sailing back around the far side of Key West, behind Sunset Key where the Sebago company had a floating pontoon platform which they could deploy jet skis, the banana boat and a center console boat all set up for parasailing. A floating trampoline floated over the aquamarine water just a few feet away. Curiously, this floating dock wasn’t visible from Key West, eclipsed by an uninhabited key, and you had to wonder if that was on purpose. Was it a bit too waterparkish for the locals? Did they think the whole production a little unbecoming?



In any event, we did it all, and needless to say, it was fantastically fun. Lunch was sliced fruit, submarine sandwiches and cookies – all nicely prepared. An open bar served beer and wine. The parasailing, however, was the highlight. Jennifer and I went up together. We were both amazed at just how peaceful it was up there. For this one brief moment we felt utterly alone, suspended in the sky on a cloud silky nylon as we looked down on our children and niece from 400 feet.



Parasailing might be the ultimate ocean-as-waterpark experience. But it's also a soulful ocean-as-waterpark experience. Whenever I see the familiar parachute hovering over the water, I think: Right now somebody is seeing the world in a whole new way.



By day’s end even the kids were whipped. The following morning my entire body had that lactic acid ache. Jennifer was less sore, as she works out in a “boot camp” group back home four times a week. After breakfast, I spent the balance of the morning writing and drinking coffee. By noon I was at once sore and jittery. The best therapy, we agreed, was to lounge poolside, chug-a-lugging margaritas. The tequila quickly overpowered the caffeine and infused the aching muscles with a most pleasant numbness. My body was telling me that I had exercised, I’d done right by it. Now it was offering up the reward in the form of a sweet little buzz.



No comments:

Post a Comment